How to Apply
Class of 2028 Timeline
In 8th Grade 2023-2024
Online Application opens: Mid-August 2023
Crusader for a Day, 8th Grade Shadow Days: 5 options in September-November
Open House for prospective families: Thursday, November 9, 2023
High School Placement Test (HSPT): November 4 or December 16, 2023
Online Financial Aid application opens: Late November, 2023
Application Deadline: December 1, 2023
Application fee increases to $100 after this date and applicants will not be notified in the first round of notifications in February. Late applicants are also not eligible for the Pope Francis Merit Scholarship.
All academic records and teacher recommendations due: December 15, 2023
Final Opportunity for High School Placement Test (HSPT) at TC: December 16, 2023
Admissions Decisions and HSPT results sent: Mid-February, 2024
This date only applies to applicants with all requirements completed on time.
Math and Spanish placement tests, if applicable: Spring 2024
Summer school: All 4 weeks of June, Monday-Thursday
A summer school requirement would be listed on your student’s acceptance letter, if applicable
Incoming Freshman Application Steps
Transfer Students should view the Transfer Student page for applicable information
STEP 1: COMPLETE AN APPLICATION
Complete the Online Application - Apply Now link allows you to apply to Tampa Catholic by creating an online account. This online account allows you to submit an application to Tampa Catholic ($75.00 application fee until December 1).
- Please save your log-in information, as you will use this throughout the application process.
- During the application process you will choose your High School Placement Test (HSPT) date at Tampa Catholic, or let us know if you are taking it at another high school. Your application serves as registration for our HSPT and your application fee includes the test.
STEP 2: DOCUMENT REQUEST
After you complete an application, an admissions packet will be emailed regarding the required documents that are needed for your student to be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
The required documents include:
- The Principal, Math teacher, and English teacher evaluation forms
- You will enter names and email addresses for these three people in your admissions portal after you complete an application. The online recommendation form will then be emailed to them. There is no paper version of the recommendation form.
- TC will receive the evaluation as soon as it is completed online. Parents can track the status, and re-request if necessary, in the application portal. Additional recommendation letters are not accepted.
- 6th-8th grade academic history
- Immediately after applying, you will be emailed a “TC Records Release Form.” This must be printed, signed, and turned in to your child’s current school. Then, your child’s school will send us their academic, behavioral, and attendance records. It is the parent’s responsibility to request and ensure these records are sent to us. Academic records must come to TC directly from the school.
- Student support information
- If your child has an IEP, 504, or Diocesan Student Support Plan, it must be provided to Tampa Catholic along with the other requirements. If your child receives additional time for testing, the documentation must be submitted no less than 2 weeks before the HSPT: Students who have documented special needs must provide the complete results of a psychological-educational evaluation. Information is confidential.
STEP 3: TAKE THE HIGH SCHOOL PLACEMENT TEST
Tampa Catholic uses the High School Placement Test (HSPT) as one of the criteria for admission for 9th grade and then for class placement, if accepted.
HSPT AT TC: Saturday, November 4 and Saturday, December 16, 2023
- Registration for the High School Placement Test (HSPT) at Tampa Catholic is fulfilled when completing an admissions application. On the application you will select a test date and this serves as registration for the test.
- Results of the HSPT are only sent with the admissions notification (February or later) if your student took the test at TC. HSPT results are not provided to parents before this time.
- HSPT scores may be shared with other schools, at parent's request. All Catholic high schools in our area use the same test.
- The HSPT may only be taken once, retakes are never permitted. The HSPT may only be taken once, even if applying to multiple high schools.
- The HSPT is required to be considered for admission into 9th grade. We do not accept other standardized tests for admission.
- The test is ~3.5 hours long, including short breaks, and students must arrive on TC's campus by 7:45am. Most students are dismissed between 11:15am and 12 Noon. Additional information will be emailed closer to your student's selected test date. Calculators are not used.
- If your student requires additional time for standardized tests, submit their IEP/504/SSP indicating this at least 2 weeks prior to their scheduled TC HSPT test date. As long as this is submitted, they will receive 50% additional time on the test day. No additional accommodations are made for the HSPT.
- Preparation is not required. HSPT prep books are available or you can search online for HSPT prep or study guides. We advise getting familiar with the format, timing, and pace of the test. Tampa Catholic does not endorse or suggest any specific testing preparation method, service, or materials.
- If you are unsure of what test date you registered your student for, log in to your admissions portal. On the right-side column click “Step 1” to view your application. Scroll down to view the “Entrance Exam Date” you selected. To change the test date, please contact the admissions office.
STEP 4: ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE REVIEW
The Admissions Committee reviews an applicant's academic history, three evaluation forms, HSPT results, support plan (if applicable) and makes the final decision on admission to Tampa Catholic. For accepted students, the committee also creates a plan of proposed courses which are included with the acceptance email.
STEP 5: ADMISSIONS NOTIFICATION
The Admissions Department will send notification of admission status via email after the Admissions Committee review. For those who have completed all steps on time, notification is typically provided in mid-February. Applicants may be accepted, accepted with required summer school, placed in a waitpool, or declined admission. If the student tested at Tampa Catholic, results of the HSPT will be included with the notification.
If accepted, enrollment steps will be included with the acceptance. This includes a $500/$600 registration fee, enrollment contract, and summer school registration (only if required.)