"I promise to do my best to represent the objectives of the Science National Honor Society to exemplify the qualities of leadership, scholarship, citizenship, and community service and to encourage the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all mankind."
The Tampa Catholic Chapter of the Science National Honor Society was chartered in 2006. SNHS is dedicated to the promotion of prominent scientific organization, research, and thought that will engender a new group of young thinkers who will be the future of industry, science, and research.
Student Qualifications for Nomination
- Must be a junior or senior student at Tampa Catholic High School.
- Must have completed at least one honors science class as a freshman or as a sophomore.
- Must be enrolled in an honors or advanced placement science class as both a junior and as a senior.
- Must have a cumulative unweighted science GPA of 3.5.
- Must have a cumulative unweighted overall GPA of 3.0.
Goals and Motto
The Science National Honor Society was nationally organized in 2000 with the following objectives:
- To encourage and recognize scientific and intellectual thought.
- To advance students’ knowledge of classical and modern science.
- To communicate with the scientific community.
- To aid the civic community with its comprehension of science.
- To encourage students to participate in community service and, in turn, encourage a dedication to the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all of mankind.
The motto of the Science National Honor Society translates: “Fortunate is one who understands the causes of things.”