This retake policy for summative assessments places the onus on the student to take advantage of a responsible and fair opportunity to improve and remedy any learning deficiency. The student should be an active participant in a plan to remedy the deficiency and be expected to do so in a timely manner. Since retake policies support the emphasis on learning and relearning, teachers may have the discretion to refuse the retake of a summative to students who do not satisfactorily engage in the learning process prior to the summative. This includes, but is not limited to, cases involving suspension and/or academic dishonesty.
Criteria for Retakes
- The retake process mustbe initiated by the student.
- A student may retake a summative once.
- The Application for a Retake should be completed by the student, signed by student and parent, and returned to the examining teacher no more than two (2) school days after the teacher has returned the graded summative assessment to the student.
- On the Application for a Retake, the student will identify the deficient standards/topics and include a clear learning plan and timeline to close the learning gap.
- Students may be required to participate in additional practice in order to qualify for a retake.
- Only one retake will be allowed per summative.
- All graded formative assessments must be completed prior to the original summative.
- The retake for any summative in a unit must be completed before the date of the first summative of the following unit.
- Semester exams and summatives that are extended projects with ongoing feedback and clear completion deadlines do not qualify for retakes.
- The student will forfeit the retake opportunity if either the scheduled retake date or a scheduled teacher-required additional practice is missed.
- In the event that a student is absent and misses a scheduled teacher-required additional practice session, the student must communicate with the teacher electronically (via email, etc.) the day additional practice is missed.
- If a student is absent on the date of his/her retake, the student must take the retake the day he/she returns to school as this has been pre-scheduled. The retake will then be given at the teacher’s discretion, either in class, during lunch, or after school.